The Park Terra Nostra is considered the ex-libris of the valley of Furnas.
Garden two hundred years, their origin dates back to 1780, when Thomas H., then Consul of the United States of America in San MIguel, here did build his residence in summer, better known as Yankee Hall.
But it was from the middle of the nineteenth century that this garden, which was just starting area of two hectares, experienced a remarkable development, at the initiative of its successive owners, the Viscondes da Praia, and posteriormentem the family Bensaude.
Acquired in 1848 by Viscount of the Garden Beach experienced a first expansion which led to the creation of gardens, water and the planting of boulevards bleak and beds of flowers, as well as the replacement of the current Yankee Hall of the Park House.
From 1872, the second Visconde da Praia continuing the work of their parents is through embelezamento the house, or, especially, through a significant expansion work and planning the garden, using specialists, Portuguese and English, which drew the reconstruction of the existing channel serpentiforme, from caves, the avenues of buxo,, and the paths of orange flanked now missing.
Date yet this season the planting of many of the most emblematic trees, which now dominate many areas of the park and which were imported from areas such longíquas and disparate as North America, Australia, New Zealand, China and South Africa .
Already in the years 30 of the last century, the Park Terra Nostra, however acquired by Vasco Bensaude, who saw in it an indispensable complement to the newly opened Hotel Terra Nostra, it is again extended, reaching the current 12.5 hectares of gardens and woods.
Vasco Bensaude, holder of extensive knowledge in the areas of botanical and gardening, then proceeds to the recovery of the park, which it is entrusted to his Scottish gardener John McEnroy. In parallel to the renewal of the House of the Park and the pool of water rail, then forrada with stone from cantaria are carried out significant work on conservation of roads and lakes in the park, as well as numerous plantations.
Today is a romantic vision of ponds, winding paths, flowers, centuries-old exotic trees and silence, Two streams converge in the park and there is a pond of warm thermal water that is used as a swimming-pool. Huge hollow and luxurious garden in which the colour of the flowers is mixed with the bright green of the Japanese cedars and araucarias. Leafy vegetation from cold and tropical countries, with some species that are hard to find in their lands of origin. A golf course and tennis courts are also part of the tourist complex of Furnas Valley .
The valley is crossed by two fast-flowing streams, one with cold water and the other with warm water coloured by iron in suspension. Typical water-mills exist. Nearby lies the height called Pico de Ferro, a belvedere affording an expansive view of Furnas Valley. There are also a lot of small waterfalls.